This one is one of my favorites. As a baker, Scones were the first few of my many experiments. On a good weekend, there isn’t much that can replace a good scone with homemade jam and a light cup of tea. A quick simple recipe can produce warm fluffy Scones that taste like a dream.
I followed a recipe by Cupcake Jemma and found that the scones came out perfect. They were like little jewelry boxes that showcased our Strawberry Jams like rubies. I usually like to cut up my scones into squares so that there are no wasted bits of the dough.
1. 500g plain flour (plus extra for dusting)
2. 2 rounded tsp baking powder
3. 2 heaped tbsp of caster sugar
4. 1 Tsp salt
5. 110g chopped cold unsalted butter
6. 300ml whole milk
7. 1 egg
1. In a large bowl, sift the flour, sugar and baking powder
2. Cut the butter into squares and chill it
3. Add the butter and dry mixture to a food processor and blend until mixture resembles fine crumbs
4. Transfer back to the large bowl
5. Make a well in the center and pour the milk into it- stirring lightly bring the mass together without kneading.
6. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; roll to 1-in. thickness. Cut with a 2-1/2-in. biscuit cutter and arrange them on a baking tray that’s been lined with paper
7. Lightly brush the tops with beaten egg
8. Bake at 190c/375F for 15-20minutes or until golden brown.
9. Baking time: 190c/375F for 15-20mins**